Tue April 04
Sat April 08
Tue April 11
Thu May 04
Sat May 13
Sat May 27
Fri June 30
Sat July 01
Tue July 04
Sun July 09
There are many ways you can support WAYJO: find out more.
Want to explore different musical styles, or simply enjoy meeting and performing with people around your own age? Whether you aspire to be a professional jazz musician or composer, WA Youth Jazz Orchestra has something to offer you!
WA Youth Jazz Orchestra is widely regarded as Australia’s leading youth jazz orchestra. For more than 30 years, we have been providing inspiration and opportunity to outstanding young jazz musicians from Western Australia and beyond.
In 2016, WAYJO members:
- Performed alongside internationally-acclaimed guest artist Michael Abene and WAYJO alumni Andrew Murray and Brendan Grey;
- Participated in the 2016 Composer-in-Residence program and performed at the Perth International Jazz Festival with WAYJO alumni Joshua Hatcher premiering his new compositions;
- Performed with The Premiss Collective at the State Theatre Centre Courtyard, a collaboration with Perth’s local hip-hop artists;
- Toured regionally across Western Australia to Mandurah, Bunbury, Esperance, Kalgoorlie and Albany;
- Toured internationally to Japan as part of our Music Exchange program with Showa University, Japan, and to USA as part of Brubeck Summer Jazz Colony program;
- Participated in weekly rehearsals with experienced Music Directors and workshops with award-winning artists including Jazz at the Lincoln Centre Orchestra;
- Performed and conducted workshops for the Act-Belong-Commit Education Program visiting metropolitan, outer-metropolitan and regional schools;
- Performed to audiences of around 20,000 people at venues.
All positions in WA Youth Jazz Orchestra are vacated at the end of each year. A total of fifty-four places are available within the three orchestras – the Monday Night Orchestra, Tuesday Night Orchestra, Wednesday Night Orchestra. Each orchestra consisting of the following instrumentation:
- Alto Saxophone (2)
- Tenor Saxophone (2)
- Baritone Saxophone (1)
- Trumpet (4)
- Trombone (3)
- Bass Trombone (1)
- Guitar (1)
- Double Bass (1)
- Piano (1)
- Drums (1)
APPLICATIONS FOR 2017 HAVE NOW CLOSED!
Please sign up to our eNews to be informed of when 2018 audition applications open.
Applications closed Monday 7 November 2016 (vocal and early auditionees)
and Monday 28 November 2016 (instrumentalists)